Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just a Suggestion.

OK, I'm probably going to get some flack for what I'm about to post, but I really don't care.

This morning, I stopped by the convenience store to pick up a small thing of mild to put in my cereal. When I got to the refrigerated section, all the milk was gone. Luckily, this convenience store has a McDonald's attached to it. So, I walk over to the counter this is how the conversation went...

Lady: Yes, Miss.
Me: I just need a low fat milk.
(The lady looks at me like I'm speaking Greek.)
Me: Just a milk.
(Crickets chirping)
Me: Milk.
Lady: Milk?
Me: Yes, Milk.
Male McDonald's employee: What would you like?
Me: Just a milk.
Guy to Lady: Leche.
Lady: Ohhhhh, OK.
She enters the order into the computer.
Lady: Uno O Ocho.
Me: Excuse me?
Guy: $1.08

I take my milk and walk out to my car, pissed off.

I understand that people come to America with dreams of a better life and I don't have a problem with that. BUT, if you are going to be working where you have to speak to customers and/or take orders, please learn how to speak English. If I were going to move to a different country; I would, at the very least, learn conversational whatever language they speak.

So, here's a suggestion...If you don't want to learn how to speak English and you work at McDonald's, at least memorize the menu.

Until next time...

Mandy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Yeah, in most forums you would probably get some flack for saying that.

But I think way more people agree with you than not. I completely, totally agree with you. Someone that can't speak English should not be working directly with customers. I'm all for immigration and welcoming people into our country. I LOVE people from other countries. I'm fascinated by them. But if they want a job, they need to learn the language.

But then, I suppose having an official language would be a good place to start.

d.g. said...

I completely, TOTALLY, 100% agree with you. And that's all I'm going to say, because this is an issue I am so passionate about that if I leave the kind of comment that I would like to leave, there will be trolls. Trolls sniff out this kind of stuff, and I'm not in the mood for that right now. But yes ... it is a MAJOR problem, national language or not, whatever happened to common courtesy, or even, "When in Rome ...?"