Friday, August 3, 2007

Just to set the record straight...

Apparently, to people who do not know me, my last post came across that I don't like children. This is not the case. I am a firm believer that there are some people that are meant to be mothers. For example...

Mother of Three - She is a wonderful mother. She has a wonderful family and I really do need to spend more time with them.

Doodlebug - Another awesome mom. All three of her Little Doodles are great, and I have come to look at them as my little nieces and nephews.

My sister - One of the best moms I've ever been around. She has sacrificed a lot for her kids and has been very supportive of Thing 1's soccer, Thing 2's karate and we haven't found out what Thing 3 is going to be into. (Although, I really think she needs a tapper in the bunch. Hey, Aunt Single Girl can dream.)

Hoochie - Another good mom. She's had to deal with her little girl's dad for the past nine years, that right there shows that she has the patience of a saint.

My mother - The BEST mom I have ever seen. Others should aspire to be the kind of mom I had growing up and the kind of mom I have as an adult.

I also know that there are some people that are not cut out to be a mother. For example...

Me.

I had an anonymous person post a comment on my last post saying that because I don't want kids, people don't look at me like I'm a freak. Well, I beg to differ. When you are a woman and you make the comment that you don't want kids, people automatically assume that it's because you don''t like kids. Just to set the record straight; I love kids and usually kids love me. The reason for this is because I am a big kid. I will get on a trampoline and jump as long as I can with children and laugh the whole time. I have taken Thing 2 to Moody Gardens just the two of us and we ran around the whole aquarium part like we were both 5 years old. I will sit there and sing Old McDonald's Farm in the car for hours making up new sounds for all the animals. Another thing people say when you don't want kids, "You should try it, just have one." What the hell kind of statement is that. Do they not realize that when you have a kid, you can't give it back? It's not like you have a choice in the matter. Can you imagine if I went to work and someone asked me, "Hey Single Girl, how's the baby doing?" And I came back with, "Oh well you know, I took your advice and I tried it and decided being a mother just wasn't for me, so I dropped it off at one of those safe havens." Why is it so difficult to understand when a woman has made the decision to not have children. So, to say that people don't look at you like you're a freak when you say you don't want kids is a little on the ridiculous side. I will say this...just because I like kids, doesn't mean I like all the things that go along with the kids. Like diapers - yuck, spit up - yuck, crusty booger nose - yuck. Other things that I don't do...Baby Showers. A dreaded event for most of the singletons I know. People ooohing and ahhing over little socks and onesies, don't get me wrong their cute...but I don't think I've ever felt the need to oooh or ahhh over tiny clothes.

Now for some things that annoy me about people with children.

1. When you are at a store and your child is screaming or yelling "momma, momma, momma, momma" Please answer your child. Just because you can block them out, does not mean the rest of can. We would like to enjoy our day of shopping too.

2. People with children in a restaurant that allow them to scream the whole time they are sitting in a booth, allow them to stand in the booth and stare me while I am trying to eat, and my favorite when the parent allows the child to start throwing food. Those of us without the children would like to enjoy our meal too.

3. People who take their children into a grocery store, or any store for that matter, with no clothes on. I have issues with parents dragging their kids around in nothing more than a diaper, crusty snot nose, and dirty knees and feet.

When I referred to the Duggars as freaks, that is my opinion. For one thing, I don't see how a mother can nurture 17 children all at once. Let's just say that the whole family sleeps on average of 7 hours a night, that would leave 17 hours left in the day. If my math is correct, each child would receive about 1 hour of attention a day. Now, those of you who are parents with small children know that a small child requires more than just 1 hour of attention throughout the course of the day. So, the older children don't get their hour. How is that fair to the older kids?

Why is it that married couples with children can look down their nose at singletons, such as myself, but if you are single and don't have any children and you make one comment about a family, that by today's standards is a little odd, you get people like anonymous that assume you don't like kids or there is something wrong with you?

Think about that kiddos.

Until next time...

Single Girl

8 comments:

d.g. said...

Very well spoken -- last time I checked, this is a free country. And it is NOT 1950 anymore. Women are now free to do what they want with their lives.

Have a child, don't have a child. Work, don't work. Run for president, run a marathon. It's your life. Do with it what you choose to do, and piss on anyone who has a problem with that, for I'm certain that that person also chose the life that THEY wanted (*cough* Anonymous Commenter *cough*)

Princess Pixybell said...

Hiya single girl, I'm one of those so called 'Freaks' I'm 32 and have no inclination at all to have any children. Like you I love kids but I also love giving them back! I'm way to selfish a person to give up my me time and I wouldn't want to just have a child for having a child sake. All I ever hear is 'You'll change your mind' I doubt that very much, I also see your side of the whole brady bunch thing going on with that family, I'm sure all the kids are loved but how the hell do you devote your time to individuals, I just don't agree with having 17+ but thats upto the family but just not a road I would travel down, plus imagine she must have a wizzards sleeve having that many kids EYAK!!! xx

Anonymous said...

I MUST ADMIT, I WAS ALSO A LITTLE INSULTED REGARDING COMMENTS MADE BY "ANONYMOUS" ON THE PREVIOUS POST. FOR ONE THING, IF THIS PERSON STANDS BEHIND HIS OR HER COMMENTS, WHY REMAIN "ANONYMOUS"? AT LEAST SINGLE GIRL HAS THE GUTS TO STATE HER OPINION AND LET THE SHIT FALL WHERE IT MAY.

SINGLE GIRL ASKED ME AT ONE TIME, IF I WOULD THINK LESS OF HER IF SHE DECIDED TO NEVER GIVE ME ANY GRANDCHILDREN. MY ANSWER TO HER WAS..."IT'S YOUR LIFE. I WON'T BE AROUND FOR EVER, SO, THIS IS A DECISION THAT YOU MUST MAKE FOR YOURSELF." DOES IT BOTHER ME? NO.
DO I THINK SHE WILL REGRET IT SOMEDAY? MAYBE, BUT MAYBE NOT. I PROBABLY KNOW SINGLE GIRL BETTER THAN JUST ABOUT ANYONE AND I'M GOING TO STICK MY NECK OUT AND STATE THAT THE ULTIMATE ANSWER IS PROBABLY NOT.

DON'T GET ME WRONG, SHE WOULD PROBABLY MAKE A GOOD, IF NOT GREAT MOTHER, (EXCEPT FOR THE DIAPER CHANGING, SPIT UP WEARING AND NOSE WIPING PHOBIAS)BUT, EVERYONE MUST MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS. YOU JUST HAVE TO REALIZE YOUR PARTICULAR PURPOSE IN THIS WORLD AND THEN GO FOR IT.

SINGLE GIRL'S SISTER IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST MOTHERS THAT I KNOW. BETTER THAN I WAS, I BELIEVE. BUT, BEING A MOTHER IS SOMETHING THAT SHE KNEW SHE WANTED TO BE AT AN EARLY AGE. ALSO, I MUST SAY THAT SHE HANDLES ALL THE PRESSURES OF HUSBAND, CHILDREN, HOUSE AND SCHOOL BETTER THAN MOST. (SHE'S GOING TO COLLEGE NOW, AND I'M AM SO VERY PROUD OF HER) SHE DOES GET FRUSTRATED AT TIMES WITH HER OVERWHELMING SCHEDULE, BUT, DON'T WE ALL?

SO, ANONYMOUS, LOOK TO YOURSELF. IF YOU ARE A MOTHER OR A FATHER AND BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB, THEN, MORE POWER TO YOU. BUT, JUST REALIZE THAT IT TAKES A BETTER PERON TO REALIZE WHAT THEY SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO WITH THEIR LIVES AND THEN FOLLOW THROUGH WITH SAID PLAN,THAN TO JUST BLINDLY FOLLOW WHAT THE MAJORITY THINKS IS "RIGHT".

ALSO, PLEASE NOTE, I WILL STAND BEHIND MY COMMENTS AND SIGN AS....

CAROL
SINGLE GIRL'S MOM

Rice Spice said...

HERE, HERE to Single Girl's Mom!!! It truly is your decision to have or not have children. Yes, God blessed women with the gift to bring life into the world. HOWEVER, he also blessed us with the ability to intelligently determine if we want to bring that life into the world. Some people are just not cut out for motherhood but feel compelled to squeeze a few kids out for the sake of having them - the worst idea EVER! Others just can't provide the attention the child needs - not a bad thing to have other priorities...it's a free country when I last checked. Some people plain just don't want them, and more power to them! The world is overpopulated and our resources are rapidly depleting anyway.

I personally thought for a long time that I didn't have it in me to be a mom. However, in the last couple of years, and being with Baby has taught me that I very much want it "eventually". Don't get me wrong...my patience for children still equates to almost nothing and watching my sister go through pregnancy twice has done nothing but dishearten me, but I'm sure when the time is right, I'll be ready to do it. Although my decision on the matter changed with time, in no way do I think it's the way to go for people who in their hearts know that it isn't for them.

Amanda said...

Just wanted to tell everyone thank you for your feedback...even anonymous.

You know what Princess...too bad you don't live in the U.S., I have a feeling you and I could be very good friends!!!

Single Girl

Princess Pixybell said...

That would be cool!! life here is rather crap sounds fun your side of the world haha! and how nice to meet your mum too xx

Anonymous said...

ALSO, JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT, I ALSO THINK THE FAMILY IN ARK. IS TOTALLY NUTS!!!!

SINGLE GIRLS MOM

sublimenigma said...

The Roomies and I all think the Duggars have a screw loose...it's good to know we aren't alone.

Unfortunately you will be looked at as a freak for not wanting children...just like I'm looked at as a freak for not wanting to get married.
You currently are on a path that is far removed from what society deems "normal", but hey...I say more power to you. Do what makes you happy. At least you aren't doing whatever someone else says you should do.

I love my litte boy but I don't want another, and I could never say anything harsh about someone who knew what was best for them and lived their life that way.

I loved both of the posts by the way. The first for calling the Duggars freaks and doing it in a way that points out how extreme they are, and the second for clarifying your stance and calling out an anonymous poster for being an ass.

Good for you. :)