Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm Famous

The same night that I went out with Molly and Holly, I did something that not many people can say they've done...

I silenced an entire bar with one statement.

The bar that we have grown to love is awesome. It has a very cool vibe and a very eclectic mix of people that range from a singer in a band to a woman with a PHD on a dart league. They only sell beer, wine and coffee, but they don't sell Budweiser or Miller Lite or any of the other "regular" beers. They do, however, carry an extensive line of Abita Beer, Lone Star (one of my personal favorites) and here's one that I tried last weekend that has now become one of my favorites Atlantic Brewing Company Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale. They also have an impressive wine list...and Molly, who is not a wine drinker, has become very fond of a German wine that we're not really sure what the name is but the bartender knows when she says she wants a glass of Edelweiss Weinerschnitzel what to give her.

The inside of the bar is very cool and chic, but since Houston has a non-smoking ordinance, everyone usually stands outside and mingles amongst each other, hopping from patio table to patio table. The last time we were there, there was someone bbq'ing in front of the bar and somehow we ended up with a rather large plate of grilled pork and pineapple on our table...it was delicious, by the way!

So, let me get back to my "Stop the Presses" moment...

It was later in the evening and I had had a couple of the Blueberry Ales and I walked into the bar to order another one, there was about 12-15 people in the bar...

Me: Hey Cory, can I get another Blueberry Ale?
Cory: Yeah, hang on just a minute.
Me: Is that Radiohead?
Cory: Yeah.
Me: Oh. My. God. I HATE RADIOHEAD!

REAAAAAAAAAAA

Everyone stopped talking and looked at me.

Me: What?
Cory: You hate Radiohead?
Me: Uhh, yeah. I would rather gouge out both my eyeballs with a Bic pen than listen to them.
Cory and the other patrons are staring at me like I just said something horrible about the Baby Jesus.
Me: Seriously, Thom York sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher talking...wha wha wha wha.
Cory: I can't believe you don't like Radiohead.
Me: Sorry, dude. They are my ex's favorite band and I was made to listen to them constantly and I had to endure an entire concert with them and their pretentious fans.
Guy sitting next to me: So you've seen them live?
Me: Yeah, and I will say they sound just like their CD, which is impressive, but I think their fans are more annoying than they are.
GSNM: Wow, I hate it when people get all pretentious about bands.
Me: Yeah, thank you!

Cory gives me my beer and I walk back outside...it was shortly after this that I ended up in the hatchback.

So, Saturday night, Molly and Holly went back out to the bar and this guy looked at her...

Guy: Are you the girl that doesn't like Radiohead?
Molly: No, I like Radiohead...that's my friend, Mandy that doesn't like them.

YAY, I'm famous! I am so getting a plain black shirt and in fuzzy white lettering it's going to say...

I'm the girl that hates Radiohead.
Until next time...
Mandy

3 comments:

Karen M. Peterson said...

That's hilarious!

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Maybe you can sell those shirts through Cafe Press or something...

d.g. said...

I like Radiohead, I guess ... I mean, if a song comes on the radio or something I'll listen, but I don't own any of their albums, I've never seen a show, and I don't think they are some sort of lyrical geniuses either.

I can't stand pretentious music people either. Like what you like simply because YOU enjoy it, because it means something to YOU, and not because all the "cool" kids are doing it. The same can be said of life in general. Everyone is different, so it makes sense that we should all like different things. Duh!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Amanda! Where you at?? I've missed you!