Friday, September 4, 2009

September 4, 1924

The greatest man in the world was born 85 years ago today; well, the greatest man in my world. Of course I'm talking about The Paw Paw! Seriously, everyone should have a Paw Paw! If you're new to Mainly Mandy, I'll fill you in on the awesomeness that is THE PAW PAW!

When my sperm-donor left, back in 1979, a very pregnant-the mother, took little Mandy to Nanny and Paw Paw's house where they took us in and Paw Paw started building a house for The Mother, The Mandy and the yet-to-be-born Megan behind his house. The three of us lived in that little 950 square foot house until I was 22...


The Paw Paw reading to little Mandy

The Paw Paw playing Uno with little Mandy after her first dance recital.

Us again.


Present day Paw Paw with my youngest nephew, Victor.
Here's a conversation my mother and I had recently...
Me: I just want to find a guy that will get the shit off the top shelf.
Mom: Mmmhmmm...
Me: Someone who will say, "I'm taking your car to have the oil changed."
Mom: Right.
Me: A dude that's going to ask, "Is your cell phone charged???"
Mom: OK.
Me: Someone that wants to take care of me, not because I need them to, but because the want to!
Mom: Well, what you want is a Paw Paw, and I'm sorry, but they don't make that model anymore!
And that's true, they don't. I've always said that I want what my grandparents had. Do you know that, 'til the day my Nanny died she swore up and down that she didn't know how to put gas in her car. Whenever she'd get to a quarter of a tank, she'd tell Paw Paw and he would take it to the gas station and fill it up. NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!
So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAW PAW! Hope your day is fabulous!
Until next time...
Mandy



6 comments:

Janet said...

My Paw Paw (and I did call him that too!) was like that. Greatest man I ever knew, and I'd love to find a boyfriend/husband who would do those little things for me like he did. But unfortunately, it's true, "They don't make that model anymore."

Karen M. Peterson said...

My grandpa was like that too. He was the best. When my parents got divorced, Grandpa would come over once a week to take care of the yard work for my mom. He'd pick me and Marc up from school, take us for ice cream, and then take us back home. He did the yards while we started our homework.

And when he couldn't drive anymore, he gave me his truck. The truck he bought himself when he retired. I had been saving money for a car, but he refused it. He wouldn't take any money from me.

I miss him a lot.

And I hate Alzheimer's Disease.

dangerkitty said...

It's so true--"They don't make that model anymore". Your post made me miss my grandpa. Alot.

Princess Pixybell said...

Whenever you mention Paw Paw I always get goosebumps, he sounds like the nicest man ever. I never had a grandfather but a lovely nan who was the salt of the earth, who I miss every day. Your very lucky to have such a lovely paw paw in your life!!! xx

Amanda said...

Pricess: you should come to the states and visit, I will take you to Paw Paw's house where he will cook a feast of fried fish, oysters and shrimp. Oh wait, I forgot, you're a vegan...I'll make my vegan friendly happy noodles. And, yes, you can call him Paw Paw.

Caroline said...

Wow, what a great story!
Happy belated birthday Paw Paw, You are right they don't make men like that anymore!
to finding the one!
caroline