Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Work in Progress

Saturday night, I was sitting at home and flipping through the channels. The only thing that was on that looked remotely interesting was The Holiday. I know what you're thinking, "Yuck, sappy chick flick!" And you are right, it was a sappy chick flick, but I am a chick and I sometimes like my flicks of the sappy variety. There was a line in the movie that struck me...

"in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend. "

And this statement is absolutely true! You should be the leading lady of your life, and I think I was at one time. There was a time when I wouldn't leave the house without being presentable, sitting at home on the weekends was not an option and I had no clue what fear of rejection meant. Somewhere down the line I lost myself and I'm not sure when and where that happened. It seems like as I've gotten older I have become frumpy and boring and have gotten in the habit of thinking that something extraordinary is going to happen to me while I'm sitting in my apartment playing with my dog.

This is no longer acceptable. It is time to let go of the regrets, the what if's, and the why not me's. I am done feeling sorry for myself. I will not wait for life to come and find me. I AM GOING TO BE THE LEADING LADY IN MY LIFE!

I was telling Lyndon about how this one line brought on this "epiphany" and he asked me, "So, what's the name of the movie that is your life?" And you know what, I'm not sure what the name should be or what it will end up being, but for right now, I'll just call it "A Work In Progress."

Until next time...

Mandy

5 comments:

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

I have done the same thing. I have gotten lazy and frumpy. I feel like the woman who becomes a boring old housewife although I am not a housewife or any type of wife. I need to get more motivated. Ugh! It's so easy to just throw on clothes and go. What happened to never ever leaving my house without makeup? Maybe I should watch that movie.

d.g. said...

I probably should, too ... the same damn thing has happened to me. Frumpy, frump, frump ... blah.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I seriously LOVE "The Holiday." Great movie. And that is one of my favorite lines.

I've been frumpy as I've gotten older, too. I'm just so busy that I don't bother to take the time to fix myself up. I need to change that. Seriously.

Princess Pixybell said...

I was until I decided to try something new, so I enrolled on a beauty course now I look at others and think, hmmmmm, you could do with a brow tidy or a nice facial would help you, its got me out the house a couple of evenings a week and I love the whole messing around making others feel good about the little changes that can be made. xx

Unknown said...

Good for you . . . You and I are the same journey to rid ourselves of the lazy and frumpy. Good luck to you!