Monday, June 25, 2007

True Colors

Last night I went to the True Colors concert with Doodlebug. OH MY GOD!!!! This show was AMAZING!!! The line-up was...

The Dresden Dolls - They were a little strange, I can't decide if I like them or not.

Debbie Harry - She was pretty good, although she didn't sing any Blondie stuff.

Rosie O'Donnell - Although I don't like her, she was pretty funny. She didn't get overly political, and that made me happy.

Erasure - Probably one of my favorite bands EVER!!! It was the first time I had seen them live and they were AWESOME!!! (Complete with spirit fingers!)

Cyndi Lauper - She was amazing!

and the whole show was hosted by Margaret Cho. She was very funny at times, but a little graphic at others.

The end of the concert was the best part...All of the acts got on stage and sang "If You Change Your Mind" and then they all sang "True Colors".

When Doodlebug told me she was going to get tickets to this show, we didn't know that it was benefiting the Human Rights Campaign. Although I am a Republican, I fully support gay rights. I have no problem with gay marriage, I think that if a gay couple wants to adopt a baby more power to them, etc... I think what started the True Colors tour is the Matthew Shepard bill. The Matthew Shepard Bill has already been approved in Congress, now it just has to be approved by the Senate. I believe they were trying to promote awareness and asked everyone to call, write and mail our senators to approve this bill.

This had to be one of the best shows I have ever been to! I will say this, I think Doodlebug, Doodlebugs friend and I were the only straight members of the audience. IT WAS GREAT!!!

Sadly, it didn't start out great. For those of you who know me, you know that I am not the most graceful person in the world. Well, last night was no different. The concert was held at The Woodlands Pavillion. ( I DO NOT like this venue. Houston is too hot and steamy for an outdoor concert in the months of April - October.) If you live in Houston, you know it's been raining quite a bit lately and we had lawn seats. (You can probably see where this is going.) I had one of those huge margaritas and I was walking up the hill. We found a clearing in the lawn and I stepped on the grass and my foot slipped in some mud. Now when I say I slipped, I didn't just slide a little bit...no, I was airborne! Doodlebug told me that an arc of margarita went over my head, like a green and red rainbow. I fell, and I fell hard. Luckily, my left boob broke my fall and I never let go of my glass. Once I hit the ground I noticed a gaggle of lesbians watching me, one of them looked at me, as I am trying hard to get up, and actually said, "Watch out, it's slippery." This comparison is more for Blonde Bombshell than anyone else...

It was reminiscent of the Hanky Panky tap dance debacle of 92. Remember, when I sounded like Axl Rose when my foot slipped out from under me?

So, the entire concert I am covered in mud from my boobs all the down to my feet. And to quote Tai from Clueless, "I'm going to be known as the girl who fell on her butt all night" or in my case, my boob.

So to Doodlebug...Thank you for such a wonderful experience, I had so much fun (aside from falling on my face) If Erasure comes back to town, we are soooo there!

Until next time...

Single Girl

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHH. THERE IS JUSTICE IN THE WORLD. REMEMBER THE DUCK FEEDING FIASCO OF 2003? THIS WILL TEACH YOU TO NOT MAKE FUN OF THE "OLD" FOLKS.

SINGLE GIRL'S MOM

d.g. said...

Hehe, you fell on your BOOB. Had I taken the exact same fall, I would have probably broken a couple of ribs. At least you have some freakin' padding!! :P

I'm glad you guys had fun, despite your muddy boob and the sopping wet mess outside. They really shouldn't plan shows at the Woodlands Pavilion during the summer. Hot and wet ... while there are some activities that I prefer that way, concerts are not one of them. Hehehehehe

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

Oh, the ceiling fan/ Axl Rose day! Yes, my dear, you looked like a ceiling fan. Arms and legs all around! And, yes, Axl Rose! Huahhh! I hate to say that I was laughing at you that day and not with you. But, you seemed not to be laughing. But, man, Jerry and I were! Teaches us to go hang out at craft shows!

And, I was not there for the duck feeding fiasco? Was this anytime like the duck pond fiasco. Or, how about the Laura/mini blind cord/ ceiling fan fiasco. Oh, and there are so many more!

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

Wait, there where many Laura ceiling fan fiascos. Again, I apologize for the many that I broke in your house! I think I did it about 3 or 4 times. Damn tall and gangly teenage arms and legs!

Anonymous said...

THERE WERE SO MANY "FIASCOES" DURING THOSE "FORMATIVE" YEARS.
DUCK POND FIASCO
CEILING FAN FIASCO
SINGLE GIRLS TIGHT JEANS WITH TOUGH ZIPPER FIASCO (SEE BELOW)
J. IN BATHING SUIT FIASCO (THE BRIGHT GREEN COLOR ON J WAS FABU!!)
CEILING FAN FIASCO # 2
GETTING KICKED OUT OF DENNY'S FIASCO
LAURA ON "DRY ICE" FIASCO (WHEN WE LEFT THAT HOUSE, THERE WAS STILL A DENT IN THE FLOOR)
HALLOWEEN PARTY FIASCO. "J, CATCH ME, I'M FALLING" (THIS BRINGS TO MIND OTHER FIASCOES, BUT NOT ENOUGH ROOM HERE)
CEILING FAN FIASCO # 3
MINI BLIND FIASCO
MANY, MANY DRILL TEAM FIASCOES

AHHHHH, THE MEMORIES. THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS. I'M SITTING HERE AS I TYPE THIS LAUGHING MY ASS OFF!! I CAN STILL SEE J STRADDLING A PRONE POSITION SINGLE GIRL YANKING ON THAT ZIPPER WHEN SINGLE GIRLS GRANDMOTHER WALKS IN, LOOKS AROUND AT EVERYONE, AND THEN JUST TURNS AND WALKS OUT AGAIN.

I MISS THOSE TIMES.

SINGLE GIRL'S MOM

Amanda said...

Thank you mom, you forgot about the time that Blond Bombshell thougth it would be cool to draw a "tattoo sleeve" on my arms in Sharpie. Hey Bombshell...I thought you said that shit would come off with nail polish remover!!! And let's not forget when you found a safety pin and tried to pierce my belly button.

Good times

Anonymous said...

HEY, I CAN'T REMEMBER EVERYTHING. REMEMBER, I'M OLD AND SENILE. HOWEVER, HOW ABOUT WHEN THE "GUYS" LIKED TO USE OUR HALLWAY TO PRACTICE BEING RUNWAY MODELS?? OR, THE TIME THE GRANDMOTHER AND I ADMIRED THE NICE YOUNG MAN IN THE WHITE BATHING SUIT AS HE WAS GETTING OUT OF THE POOL??(THAT'S HOT)

AND, LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, THE RED LASER LIGHT FIASCO? I'M SURE SINGLE GIRL'S SISTER IS STILL GIGGLING ABOUT THAT ONE. I'VE NEVER SEEN NANNY MOVE SO FAST!!

I COULD GO ON AND ON, BUT, I MUST WORK NOW.

SINGLE GIRL'S MOM

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

Oh My God (say like Janice from Friends)! I totally forgot the zipper! And the tattoos! They looked good dammit, even in senior pictures! Oh, and the Baluga Van! Wow, I think we were one disaster after the next. My god it was fun! I am cracking up! And fuck, Denny's! I am still proud of clogging their toilet. Kick us out! We are fun, Dammit!