Monday, June 4, 2007

My last weekend of meat

So, I made the decision to put off veganism until today...mainly so I would have time to go to the store and buy all the things I would need for my new journey.

Friday night my mom and I went to a local bar and watched my uncle's band play. I love going out with my mother. We have more fun watching people at the bar. The band sounded good and mom got a little sloshed. (I think it was the tequila shot on top of the dirty martinis.)

Saturday I went shopping so I could buy a super cute outfit to wear to the Astros game on Sunday. When I got home, Vegan called me and asked what I had planned for the day. I told him I had no plans and he asked me if I wanted to go to a crawfish boil that one of his friends was having. So, I got my things together and made the trek to Spring Branch. Long story short, we went to two different bars and had a really good time.

Sunday we went to the game. I have to say, my super cute outfit was exactly that...SUPER CUTE!!! Khaki gauchos with a pink camisole and a white deep V t-shirt. I wore this with my pink flip-flops and my pink Astros cap. I was the embodiment of comfortable casual. We got back to his house and I came home to do my first round of vegan shopping.

Today was my first official day of veganism. It wasn't too bad. I have made the discovery that soy mild tastes nothing like actual milk. I tried it in my coffee this morning...I'm hoping it's an acquired taste. Last night I was skimming through my handy, dandy vegan cookbook, How it all Vegan, and found a recipe for a blueberry smoothie that I thought would be perfect for my commute into work. The recipe called for 1 frozen banana, I didn't realize that you needed to peel the banana before freezing it. When I pulled said banana from the freezer it looked like a cross between a weapon and a medieval sex toy...I threw it away, it frightened me a little. So, I improvised, I used a non-frozen banana. It was pretty good. I have learned my lesson I have a peeled banana in the freezer as I type. So, this evening when I got home I started on the meal for the evening. For those of you who don't know...I don't cook, not even a little. I have to ask my mom how much water to put in the pot to boil an egg. So, this evening I started simple. It was just pasta (made in the Pasta Express, you know how I am about my As Seen on TV products!) with a soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil sauce with carrots, cucumbers and green onions. I even got fancy and threw in some toasted sesame seeds. For those of you who cook, I know that this doesn't sound difficult, but I had to peel and shred and cut the vegetables by hand. Again, if you don't know me, the mere thought of me with a knife and shredder is frightening enough, but I also had to boil the water to put in the Pasta Express. I have cooked a meal...I feel so domestic. Wish me luck with day 2.

Until next time...

Single Girl

2 comments:

Rice Spice said...

I am so proud of you for trying to vegan route! Who knows? You may love it, and decide to stick to it. Sounds like you're also getting to learn some pretty good, healthy recipes along the way.

d.g. said...

Oh. My. GOD! You COOKED!!! Hang on, I'll be right back ... yep, just as I thought -- Hell hath frozen over and pigs are flying down the street past the office!

Hehe. You know I'm only joking. Seriously, had I been able to get away with not cooking all these years, I certainly wouldn't have bothered. Sounds like you're doing really well, though, and cooking is probably just about the only way to go Vegan anyway.

Congrats on making it through your first day, and I will cross my fingers for you that you acquire the taste for soy milk quickly!!

Love ya!