Monday, May 21, 2007

The Vegan

So, the guy that I have been talking to for the past couple of weeks is the one that got me curious as to whether I eat like a vegan for a month. I met him for the first time Thrursday night. With the exception of Doctor, all the other men I have met through the personals I have opted to meet in a public setting. You know; safety first, you never know if someone is going to be a serial killer or not. Anyway, so he and I met at Empire Cafe for coffee. I got there before he did and as I was walking to go into the restaurant, he pulled up. For those of you who don't know me, I'm 5'8...not amazon woman by any stretch of the imagination, but for some reason the majority of the guys I have met have been 5'9" and under. Vegan is 6'3", I felt like a pygmy standing next to him. Also, when I looked at his picture I thought he was very cute, in person he was even better! We sat outside and talked for a couple of hours. Before we met, when we would talk on the phone we would talk for at least four hours every time. So, I wondered if we would have anything to say to each other, luckily the conversation was just as good as when we talk on the phone. So, the first meeting went well!!!

Friday I didn't do anything.

Saturday I was supposed to go shopping with a friend of mine, but sadly, she had to cancel. So, I went shopping with my favorite shopping partner, my momma. We went to Ikea then we went down to lower Westheimer and went into a couple of shops, I'm surprised we didn't run into Hoochie as she was in that area on Saturday also. Anyway, we went into this antique store and apparently I have REALLY good taste. I found this buffet that I fell in love with, when I picked up the price tag I almost fell over. The price of this buffet was $44,900.00. Have you ever seen a piece of furniture that with tax would cost around $45,000.00? Who has an extra $45,000.00 to go to an antique store and say, "I like that buffet, I'll take it. Do you deliver?" I can't even imagine. Then, I tried to call Vegan to find out what he was doing, and found out that he was at the hospital, his grandmother had had a heartattack. What is it about me, that when I start talking to people they have family emergencies? Remember when Hook-Up's dad passed away??? Anyway, Saturday night I went to the home of Doodlebug and Movie Buff and watched Half Nelson. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's not a very uplifting movie, it's actually a little disturbing, but very good.

Sunday, while I was taking my nap, Vegan called and said he wanted to go shopping. I have found out, in one of our many conversations, that Vegan does not shop by himself. So, in my half-asleep grogginess, I asked him if he wanted me to go shopping with him. He said that he did so I got up and got dressed and went to his house. Now, for those of you who don't know, I live on the Southeast side of Houston, think NASA. He lives over in the Memorial/Spring Branch area. Here's a question, why can't I be interested in geographically desirable men? The cost of gas is killing me! Anyway, so I get to his apartment around 1p. We went shopping and hung out at his house. I did not get home until about 10:30p. I think I kinda like him.

So, all in all, a pretty good weekend.

Until next time...

Single Girl

6 comments:

Rice Spice said...

First off, sounds like Vegan is a nice guy. Crossing my fingers to see what unfolds...

As for you doing the vegan thing for one month, it's definitely a huge change. I was a Vegan for one year in college. You do have to constantly read labels when shopping, and even doing some research before eating out at restaurants so that you know what things on the menu are things you can eat - that way don't look like those crazy finicky eaters I hate at restaurants ;) But, it starts becoming second nature once you get the hang of it. You also start liking certain foods and usually stick to them. Kinda boring...but if you like them, you can always prepare foods differently. Luckily, I like tofu and salads so it wasn't too terrible.

The trick is not to carb load. Many people have gained weight going vegan because they start eating nothing but breads and starches, so be really careful not to always use those as things to keep you full...even though they're soooooo good.

Also, the internet is a wealth of knowledge for vitamins and supplements that are great protein replacements.

d.g. said...

Oooohhh, sounds like you are have a grrrrreat time with the Vegan!! Good for you! Sorry, about the gas, though. The prices are horrendous right now, and running all over town certainly isn't helping you out ... but what do you do?

I'm also surprised that I didn't run into you on Westheimer ... we were all over the place, and I believe I know exactly which antique store you're referring to. It would be the same one that I told Alisha and Sarah that we needed to vacate, because the employees were glaring at our, in their eyes, lower-middle-class garb. I could tell that they thought us to be poor morons who were more likely to break something valuable than buy anything ... which was highly likely, as Sarah still has the "grace of a dancer" ... haha.

I know nothing about being a Vegan, but I will agree with Jackie regarding the carbs ... it sounds much easier to simply eat bread, potatoes and pasta all the time, but that would certainly cause more harm that good. I would think being a Vegan is like any other diet; difficult to adjust to, but once you know what you can and can not eat, and where to go for food, you should be good to go.

Amanda said...

Thank you both for your words of encouragement! I have started compiling a list of new things that I will do this summer. I will post this list next time I write.

Love ya both,
Single Girl

Princess Pixybell said...

Hiya, well I'm a vegan girlie have been for a good few years now, started off as a veggie and decided to go the whole hog (pardon the pun!). At first it was really hard, for me it was giving up cheese, jebus I still dream of it even after 10 years vegan cheese just isn't the same. For me its actually the people around me that fuss more, I'm small and people always asume thats because I'm a vegan, it has little to do with it, anyhow I'm wittering. Your vegan bloke sounds a dish good luck and I hope you have fun!! could you ask him if he has any single vegan relatives in the UK. xx

Amanda said...

Well hello there Princess! Thank you for the comment. I am really excited about trying the Vegan thing, the people I work with think I'm nuts! Anyway, I will check with him, but I doubt he has any relatives in the UK since he was born in the US and has many relatives south of the border.

Princess Pixybell said...

O'well not to worry! hope the vegan thing goes ok, just makesure you get some vitamin B complex thats the main one you miss other than that I'm sure you'll do fine. xx