Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Have Never Been an XS

For the two men out there that read my blog, an XS is an Extra-Small in women's clothing. And guess what, I have NEVER been an XS. I have always had a bubble butt and large thighs. I mean look at that picture at the top of my blog, even as a little girl I had big thighs. And you know what, I have a feeling there are WAY more women like me than there are Kate Mosses in the world.

Saturday, I was watching The Fashion Show on Bravo. I have become addicted to this show and fallen even more in love with Isaac Mizrahi. (I watched a documentary on him several years ago and he did an entire winter line using Nanook of the North as his inspiration. He also had an entire line of clothes at Target, and who doesn't love Target?) Anyway, the last episode had the designers designing outfits for "real women." When Isaac and Kelly Rowland announced this, you would have thought they were asking these people to design clothes for an entire leper colony. If you look at the women that were modeling the clothes, you will see that they are not that big. I think the largest on was a size 14, which last I heard, was the average size for a woman in America. One woman said that her favorite part of her body was her butt and when they took the measurements, her hips were like 42". And you know what, GOD BLESS HER! These designers were complaining that they had to pad their dress forms and one even started crying. Then there was James-Paul, who actually said things like a real woman's body doesn't inspire him and he actually said that this challenge was like "...asking Jesus Christ to work with Satan." (After those comments, I say eff you! I'm ready for him to go home!) This is the problem people. Designers need to finally realize that women are not only thin, but they are also curvy, large busted, small busted, long legged, short-waisted, broad shouldered, etc... I really wish department stores, buyers, and designers would realize that just because a woman is larger than a 10, it doesn't automatically mean that she wants to wear elasto-pants, broomstick skirts and denim vests with children holding hands embroidered across the back. Guess what, wanting to feel pretty and sexy is not exclusive to women who are thin.

Until next time...

Mandy

4 comments:

d.g. said...

I wholeheartedly AGREE!

Karen M. Peterson said...

Amen, sister!

It's so frustrating that there is such an overwhelming lack of cute clothes for us "bigger" girls...especially when "bigger" is actually AVERAGE.

I think Isaac Mizrahi just became my new hero.

Anonymous said...

I gave you an award on my blog. :)

Mindy said...

Amen Sister is right! Thank GOD for Torrid!