Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Spring Show

I think I've finally caught up on my sleep after last weekend. .

The Alumni was AWESOME!!! The theme of this year's show was "50 Years and Still Struttin." It basically took you through the history of the Channelettes. The main alumni dance was to Photograph by Nickelback. This dance was performed by ladies who graduated from 1985 to present. We worked really hard on it and I was told it looked really good. YAY!

Saturday, the 26th, I had to be at the school at 8am to teach another dance to the alumni that wanted to perform in the "Decade Dance." This was a special dance for this show since it was celebrating the drill team's 50th year. We had women from 1965 to present on the stage for this one and we had to learn it in about a 5 hour time frame. We used the song We Go Together from Grease. It was SOOO much fun. I made sure to add dance steps from the last 50 years, including steps from the "strut," all the different marching styles, and even kicks and jump splits! (The jump splits were performed by girls that graduated last year. If I tried to do a jump split now, they'd have to call paramedics to come scrape me off the stage and take me directly to an orthopedic surgeon.) I was told by the current director and by the director that was there from 1962 - 1982 that seeing all of us together on that stage and doing a good job made them cry! That made me feel good since I organized and choreographed the whole thing. Afterwards, we went to Brewsky's and partied like it was 1999! So, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure...


This is some of the alumni at the Decade Dance practice early Saturday morning.
This was at the reception before the show for the alumni to come and mingle and look at old photos etc. (That's me in the black shirt...we were rehearsing the decade dance.)

This is me at the reception.
(I don't normally look like a common prostitute, that was just stage makeup!)

This is a friend of mine from high school, Jennifer. (She looks better now than she did in 1993. I wish I could kick her, but she's so nice, it makes it hard to hate her.)

This is some of the girls who performed the tap dance that I choreographed. This was probably one of the fastest dances I've ever done and they did a great job!

This was the alumni performing the decade dance.

These ladies were our "Fearless Four." They were the oldest ones performing in the show!


Sadly, this was in the parking lot of my Alma mater. Since when do people take these things in a school parking lot???

This is some of us at the bar after the show...we were dancing to the "Grease Medley."

Suzanne telling Phillip & me something. (She's been the director since 1990.)

And the end of the evening. Then we all went to Suzanne's. I ended up passing out, I'm not sure if it was because I was tired or it was the shots...possibly a little bit of both.

I promise I will post more now that life has settled down a little bit.

Until next time...


Amanda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really am gobsmacked! looks like you all had a fab time, I'd of loved to of seen it. Did anyone video it for you? maybe you could try post some for us! Well done sounds like you did a great job. xx

Rice Spice said...

Congrats on a great show! Pixy has the right idea. Did someone take a video? You should post it because I'd love to see the dances.

d.g. said...

Yay for you! I'm glad you had such a good time, though I KNOW you're more than ready to be done with all that ... at least for this year. Money talks ... LOUDLY. Heh. =)