Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I say Potato, they say Tater!

If you are a long time reader of this little online journal, then you know about my obsession with "As Seen on TV" products...I love them! It's always a good day when I get to purchase and/or use one of my household items that I've watched an entire infomercial for. My mother loves "As Seen on TV" stuff as much as I do. As a matter of fact, I think she's the one that got me hooked on these products. (Although she won't watch infomercials, just HSN.) Anyway, when I moved into my apartment my mother got me a pair of Tater Mitts. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a picture...

I HATE TATER MITS

When I first saw the commercial for these handy, dandy gloves, this was my reaction..."OOOO, I NEED THOSE!!!" If you watch the commercial, it looks like all you have to do is put the "mitts" on, turn on the water, pick up a potato, and start rubbing the potatowith your hands and voila the potato skin comes right off! AND you can use this ingenious invention with other things too, like carrots! I just knew that if I had a pair of Tater Mitts I would be cooking potatoes ALL. THE. TIME. It didn't matter that I didn't know how to cook, the magic of the mitts would turn me into a gourmet potato cooker. When mom first gave me the mitts, I was so excited! I got home, ripped open the box and started reading the directions. I fully expected them to read like this...

1. Put Tater Mitts on your hands.

2. Turn on faucet.

3. Pick up potato.

4. Rub potato under water and between hands.

5. Your done, enjoy your freshly peeled potatoes!

But the directions didn't read like that, what they fail to mention in the commercial is that you have to BOIL the potatoes before you peel them with their so called "magical" mitts. Who wants to boil the potatoes first? Not me. And what about carrots? I thought I would be buying fresh carrots, peel them with my awesome Tater Mitts, and be able to enjoy raw carrots whenever I wanted. But you know what, when you boil carrots they are no longer raw and they don't have that happy, crunchy sound when you bite into them. No, they just get mushy. So, a couple of weeks ago, I made some sweet potatoes that had to be boiled then peeled, I thought to myself, hmmm I can finally try out my Tater Mitts. So I put my mitts on and I'm all excited (like anyone would be the when they first try out an "As Seen on TV" product.) And guess what, the Tater Mitts don't work. They don't really peel the potatoes all that well, and the part that does peel just gets all torn up from the little bumpies on the palms of the mitts. It was a sad day at the Amanda/Phillip abode. Nothing upsets me more than "As Seen on TV" products that don't do what they say they are going to do. The Tater Mitt people are liars. So, if you are in the market for a pair of Tater Mitts, just keep on walking. I would give this product a 3 out of 10.

Until next time...

Amanda

5 comments:

Rice Spice said...

I saw these gloves Bed Bath and Beyond not too long ago and had two thoughts go instantly through my mind. 1) Wow, these are awesome! 2)I bet Amanda will know if these really work.

Thanks for letting me know they are poo. I really want the PedEgg now. So if you end up trying that, let me know...hehe

d.g. said...

Ah, man, that totally blows! The concept is awesome ... perhaps someone, someday, will invent a pair that actually does the job, because oh-boy, do I HATE those peeler-thingies!

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

I am pissed! I want some, too! But they don't work. I, too, am an "as seen on tv" addict. It started with Oxyclean 10 years ago and hasn't stopped. It is why I love Wal-greens so much! They have an entire aisle of it. And, for some reason, nothing I ever have gotten has worked like they said it would. Wait, the Flip n' Fold. Now that thing was awesome! My clothes never looked so good!

Anonymous said...

AHH, YES. THE FLIP FOLD. IT IS TRULY A MARVEL. BOTH AMANDA AND MEGAN ARE HOOKED ON THIS ITEM. SOMETHING ELSE THAT DOESN'T QUITE WORK AS WELL AS IT DOES ON TV IS THE PASTA MAGIC.(?) I THINK IT WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU COOKING ENOUGH PASTA FOR ONE. ANY MORE THAN THAT AND IT'S A LITTLE TOO "AL DENTE"!!(HOPE I SPELLED THAT CORRECTLY.) I WOULD SAY THAT IS BORDERS "HARD". I HATE CRUNCHY PASTA, DON'T YOU?

THE PEDEGG JUST HAPPENS TO BE ON MY LIST OF HMMMMM, I THINK I MIGHT TRY IT.

I THINK THAT YOU GIRLS SHOULD START AN "AS SEEN ON TV BLOG". AND RATE ALL THIS CHEESY STUFF!

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

CAROL.... AMANDA & MEGAN'S MOM

Anonymous said...

Tater Mitts... why didn't I think of that?