Friday, April 4, 2008

It's Shake & Bake and I helped!

Let me start this post with saying...I don't cook. Cooking has never appealed to me. I'm not a good cook and I'm especially bad at cooking meat. I'm always scared that I haven't cooked it long enough and that I"m going to end up killing everyone by means of botulism. So, I usually end up overcooking any kind of meat. When I moved into my apartment, my mom bought me some awesome stainless steel cookware. All it's really been used for is boiling noodles, heating spaghetti sauce and scrambling eggs. Not hard stuff. Earlier in the week I decided, like all good cows should, that I was going to cook a GOOD meal for Phillip. I knew Terra was coming over on Thursday to hang out so I decided that Thursday was the day I was going to cook. But, then I thought, "What the hell am I going to make?" I didn't want to make anything that comes from a box, so I decided to go to the handy-dandy internet for help. I came across this website. If you are a beginner, like me, it's AWESOME!!! I searched the website, read the reviews, made notes and decided on three things. So, last night I made Burgundy Pork Tenderloin, Pan Fried Asparagus and Sweet Potato Scallops with Caramelized Onion. And guess what...it was actually good! I have made my first meal! I feel so domestic. I feel so domestic that I think I'm going to change my name legally to Suzie Homemaker. But seriously, I was so impressed with myself. I was a little worried at first, you have to cook the tenderloin in red wine, so when I pulled it out of the oven the pork was rather purple. I was like great, they are going to freak out because it looks like I'm feeding them a big 'ol serving of Barney genitalia. But, it was sooo good that we got over the fact that we were eating purple meat. I find it odd that no one mentioned the color in the reviews...oh well. I'm so excited, I can hear Phillip snoring upstairs and I'm here typing away on my keyboard. Do you know what this means??? I cooked and there were no fatalities! Well, I don't think there were, I'll call Terra when I'm on my way to work.

Until next time...

Amanda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE PURPLE MEAT!! THANKS FOR INVITING ME OVER TO SAMPLE YOUR CULINARY SKILLS. SORRY I COULDN'T MAKE IT. HOPE EVERYONE LIVES SO THEY MAY LET ME KNOW HOW IT WAS.

SARCASTICALLY,

THE MOTHER

d.g. said...

You said "purple meat." Heh. :P

That cracks me up! And I almost can't believe that you really cooked. I am in shock. SHOCK and AWE, OMG! But seriously, it wasn't that bad, was it? I always thought cooking would totally blow, and I was terrified to try, but once I did, I found out that not only was it not that difficult, but I was actually even sort of good at it! Imagine my surprise! Hehe.

I am loving the new look of the blog, btw. But what I'm loving even more is how happy you are. I had a perma-grin plastered on my face the entire time I read your last several posts (sorry, had to catch up ... I'm so lazy!); it's hard not to be ecstatic when reading your entries because it's obvious that you are. It's very contagious.

I'm so happy that you're happy! =)