Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I must be getting old...

As I told you all in a previous post, I attended my high school's 50th homecoming. It really was amazing. But, I also made mention of the fact that I was appalled at some of the happenings at the bonfire the night before. Before I go any further, I have to say that I never discuss politics. I'm a firm believer in, I'm not going to change your views and you are not going to change mine, so when the subject of politics comes up, I try to quickly change the subject. With that being said, some of you might not agree with how I feel on this subject. Again, I am not talking politics, so here we go...

I was raised in a predominately blue collar area of Houston. It's more of a suburb of Houston, it's not actually a city. Anyway, when I was in high school (1990-1994) when the National
Anthem was played people stopped talking, stood up and took their hats off and put their hand over their heart. This was not the case on 10/4/07. The announcer announced that the band would be playing the National Anthem and all of the adults stood, removed their hats, put their hands over their hearts but the students sat their and talked and laughed. One jackass even had the audacity to start jumping up and down on the aluminum stands. I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable! If my mother or grandparent (especially my Nanny) saw me acting like that when the National Anthem was played I would have received a beating like no other. When did parents stop teaching their children about respect for our country, our flag and our anthem. I wanted to cry, even though our community has never been known for being the "rich" area, we still had pride. I can even remember back in 1991, when Desert Storm was going on, we had a rally in our stadium for the troops. The rally recognized the families of the alumni that were in the military at that time. We had oak trees in front of our school and every one of them had a yellow ribbon tied around them. We had a board in the main office with a list of all alumni that were serving at that time. If memory serves, there were rallies all over the city of Houston at that time. I just don't understand how so much can change in 17 years. And, before you start leaving angry comments about how could I sit here and support the war etc...go back and read what I've written. I have not said that I am for OR against the war, and I'm not going to discuss my feeling on this war here.

So, after the anthem was played, they played the school song, fight song etc... Then they introduced the football team one by one. OH MY GOD!!! You would think that the coaches would sit the players down and explain that there would be A LOT of alumni in town because 50th festivities. You would think the parents would want their children to look nice when they are being introduced. This was not the case. Every member of the football team had to hold their pants up with one hand. Can someone explain to me why young men feel the need to wear their clothes 5 times too big? Couldn't someone have told them that the school was making a really BIG deal of this homecoming? I wanted to scream, "Take those damn sunglasses off. It's 8:00 at night. Is the moon blinding you???" Why couldn't someone have said, "You might want to tone the thug down just a tid bit." Maybe I'm just old, maybe I've become a prude of some sorts, but there has to be others out there that think the way I do.

Until next time...

Single Girl

3 comments:

Princess Pixybell said...

Over here in England things are very different, we were never played the national anthem and the only time we ever stood up for anything was when a teacher entered the room. I guess we are all brought up differently and thats social change for you, each generation has a different outlook, thats life I'm afraid. We all have to get older, doesn't make you a prude just you have different values! xx

sublimenigma said...

You rock.
It's about respect, and the fact that children today don't seem to have much of that...and their parents don't seem to bothered in teaching it to them.
I'm with you...but then again...I'm starting to feel old too.

d.g. said...

You know I agree; we talked about it. It IS all about respect. WE were bad enough; I know our own parents cringed and thought us to be a bunch of uncivilized animals, but quite frankly, we weren't. We stood for the National Anthem, took pride in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance over the intercom at school and called our teachers Mrs./Mr. as we were supposed to. Kids these days blow my mind. They really do. And I'm doing my best to ensure that my daughter doesn't become one of them.