Monday, July 16, 2007

Myspace...helping people find exes all over the country.

I love Myspace! Where else can you go and login to a site that allows you to look for people all over the country, all over the world for that matter. I know this sounds a bit stalkeresque, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this, so it makes me feel a little better...I have a tendency to look up old boyfriends, flames, hook-ups, etc on Myspace. Not because I'm wanting to boil anyone's bunny, just to see how they are doing. Strangely enough, there are actually people who do not have Myspace pages yet! I find that really bizarre. Anyway, Saturday I was playing around on Myspace and decided to look up a guy that I dated before the ex and I met each other, and there he was.

Let me take you back to the summer of 2000...

I was 24 years old, I was living in my first apartment in Seabrook, it was a Saturday night and I was bored. So, I decided to go to a bar in Kemah called The Blue Marlin. The only available bar stool was at the far side of the bar so I walked over there, sat down and ordered one of their signature drinks...the boat fuel. I was sitting there listening to the band play and for some reason looked to my right and their sat one of the best looking guys I had ever seen. He was olive complected with dark hair and GREEN eyes. We started talking to each other and did some dancing, I found out that he was in Houston for the summer watching his grandparents house while they where in Sweden and in August he would be going back to Maryland where he was going to college. He told me that his grandparents lived in Tanglewood and I had had WAY too many boat fuels, so I told him if he would drive me home, he could stay at my house. :) I know what your thinking, not the smartest move a single girl living by herself could make, but I was 24 and an idiot. Luckily, he was not a serial killer or a rapist! He drove my car back to my apartment and the next morning I woke up and he was gone. He left a note on my bar with his phone number and told me how much he enjoyed meeting and wanted to get together again. While I was looking around my apartment in a hung over stuper, I noticed that he had left his necklace on my bedside table...a classic move, it almost always insures that you will see that person again. Anyway, we went out quite a bit that summer but I knew that in August he would be going back to Maryland, we talked about me going up there in the winter since I had never seen snow, blah, blah, blah, then one night he and I got into a huge fight and he ended up hanging up on me. I tried calling him the next day and he answered and when I said hello he hung up on me again. Now, let me tell you, I don't hang up on people I think it's one of the rudest things you could possibly do. So, I was like, "Fuck you then." and pulled out my wallet that had my exes business card in it and paged him. So, because of this guy, the ex and I started dating.

Fast forward a year and a half. I had moved, my telephone number had changed and I am sitting in the living room watching tv when the phone started ringing.

Single Girl: Hello
the guy: Single, Single Girl?
Single Girl: Yes, can I help you?
the guy: It's the guy, the guy from last summer.
Single Girl: How did you find me?
the guy: The internet.
Single Girl: What do you want?
the guy: Well, I moved to Colorado and it started snowing and I thought about you.
Single Girl: Do you still have the same issues that you had when you were here?
(He had some issues that he had to work out, I won't write about what they were because that's his personal business.)
the guy: No, that was a phase I was going through. You actually are the one that made me realize that I wasn't the way I thought I was.
Single Girl: Oh, OK.
the guy: When I saw the snow, I wanted to call you and find out if you wanted to come up here and see it.
Single Girl: I'm sorry, I can't. I'm seeing someone.

Then after that little exchange, we talked for a long time and kept in touch for a couple of years. Then we lost each other.

So, like I said, Saturday I found him on Myspace. I emailed him and he emailed me back and then sent his phone number...then I called him.

To be continued tomorrow...

Until next time...

Single Girl

3 comments:

d.g. said...

Did you actually use the phrase "boil your bunny?" WTH does that MEAN? hehehe

Rice Spice said...

MySpace is definitely a great way to reconnect. I wouldn't have ever reconnected with Diana Banana without that website.

The bad thing about MySpace is when you get friend requests from people who obviously know you from the past, but you have absolutely no clue who they are. I've had to message Jerry or Karen or Shane just to ask, "Do you remember who the hell this person is? Did we hang out with them in high school and I just don't recognize them?" Sometimes, they recall...other times, we all just have that same cluelessness about the person. Oh, well...

sublimenigma said...

meh, myspace is both good and bad. Now for the important bit...it's Tuesday...where's our update! :)