Monday, February 2, 2009

Conversations with a Friend 1

I decided to start a new segment here at Mainly Mandy. I'm not sure how well it will go over with y'all, it might be more proof that two years was not long enough with my therapist.

I have a friend that I talk to ALL THE TIME, whether I want to or not. He calls quite a bit. We had a conversation today that made me laugh when we hung up. Then I started thinking, "This is nothing new, we have conversations like this at least once a week." You see, I get off these off the wall ideas in my head and tell him about them and he tries to talk me out of it. I don't know why he tries to talk me out of my weirdo plans, since next week there will be some other odd thought that will pop into my head.

Here's today's conversation...

Mandy: I think I want to learn how to be a mechanic.
J: You want to do what?
Mandy: I want to learn how to be a mechanic.
J: You don't want to be a mechanic, your fingernails would get dirty.
Mandy: I could wear gloves.
J: They do make gloves that are petroleum resistant.
Mandy: See...
J: I just don't think you would like being a mechanic.
Mandy: Oooo, how about a welder?
J: A welder?
Mandy: Yep, I could be just like Alex in Flashdance!
J: You would have to be a stripper at night.
Mandy: No...she wasn't a stripper, she was a FLASHDANCER, hence the name of the movie.
J: A Flashdancer.
Mandy: Yep, and that's not a stripper. Don't you remember, she got mad at her friend for stripping at that club and pulled her out of there in nothing but her g-string.
J: I don't remember much about Flashdance.
Mandy: Well, how could you not like Flashdance, it had Cynthia Rhodes in it. And any movie with Cynthia Rhodes is awesome in my opinion. So, I'm going to start researching welding schools.
J: I hate to break this to you, but welders burn themselves all the time. And electrocuted.
Mandy: Electrocuted? How do they get electrocuted?
J: The welding equipment is run with electricity. How do you think people weld.
Mandy: I don't know, with a blow torch or something.
J: That's called cutting.
Mandy: Then I'll be a cutter...and not in a weird EMO way.
J: I have to go. You're driving me nuts.
Mandy: Ok, talk to you later.

And this isn't even one of the weirder conversations.

Until next time...

Mandy

3 comments:

d.g. said...

I get these strange ideas, too. Chris calls it my "I Love Lamp" problem, meaning, when I see something, I decide that I like it and want to do it, for no other reason than ... it was right there in front of me at the time, and sounded like a damn fine idea. Sigh. I think I'm going to enjoy this new segment. It will be very entertaining and make me feel like less of a freak 'o' nature. Grin.

Anonymous said...

I CAN SEE IT. MANDY THE WELDER. THAT'S GREAT. HOWEVER, YOU SHOULD EXPLORE OTHER OPTIONS AS WELL.

HOW ABOUT, MANDY THE TRUCK DRIVER, OR MANDY THE GARBAGE COLLECTOR. SEE, YOU CAN BE ANYTHING IF YOU WANT IT BADLY ENOUGH.

I THINK WE HAD THIS CONVERSATION ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. ONLY, AT THE TIME I THINK IT WAS YES, YOU CAN BE MANDY THE DOCTOR, OR MANDY THE ASTRO PHYSICIST. (NOT SURE OF THE SPELLING ON THAT ONE.) MAN, TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

OF COURSE, MY ORIGINAL PLANS WERE TO BE A SYMPHONIC MUSICIAN. MY CURRENT CAREER DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE. ALL THOSE MUSIC CREDITS IN COLLEGE ARE WASTED. AAAAHHHH, DREAMS. WE ALL HAVE THEM.

MANDY'S MOM

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

I wanted to be a mechanic, too! Actually my latest is this. I get my MA, then go to cosmetology school! I really want to. I don't care about a dumb masters when I can cut hair.

I think this is why we got into so many stupid mishaps in our youth. Both of us come up with these ideas. It's like we are both Lucy with no Ethel to tell us we are loony (although, Ethel always went along with the plan).