Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Conversations with a friend - 2

This conversation took place a couple of months ago...

Mandy: I think I want to get a pet.
J: Here we go again, what kind of dog do you want this time?
Mandy: I don't want a dog.
J: Then what, a cat?
Mandy: Nope, a skunk.
J: A skunk.
Mandy: Yep, they're awful cute.
J: Uh huh. And what would you do with a skunk?
Mandy: Umm, hello...I would pet it and love it!
J: Skunks are wild animals...
Mandy: You can domesticate a skunk.
J: No you can't.
Mandy: Yes you can. Do you really think dogs and cats started off as little house pets? No, they were wild animals at one time, and they have since been domesticated.
J: THEY HAVE BEEN DOMESTICATED OVER HUNDREDS OF YEARS!
Mandy: You don't understand, I don't want an adult skunk...I want a baby skunk. That way it would think I was it's momma and it would love me.
J: Why would it love you?
Mandy: Because it would have to.
J: You do realize when your driving and you comment on the "foul and mysterious odor," 9 times out of 10 it's a skunk you're smelling.
Mandy: I would destink the skunk.
J: You can't destink a skunk.
Mandy: Yes you can, it's like a gland or something that can be removed. That's what they do to ferrets.
J: I think you're wrong.
Mandy: No I'm not.
J: Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it. I'll talk to you later.
Mandy: OK, Bye.

**Mandy calls her mother.

Mandy: Mom, can skunks be destunk?
Mom: Yeah. It's like a gland or something...you know, like they do to ferrets.
Mandy: How do you know?
Mom: Pet stores sold skunks as pets when I was little.
Mandy: Really! Did you have one?
Mom: Uh, no.
Mandy: OK, that's what I needed to know...thanks.
Mom: Wait, why do you ask?
Mandy: So I could prove J wrong.
Mom: OK, well have fun...Bye.

**Mandy calls J back.

Mandy: HA HAAAAA
J: What?
Mandy: You can destink a skunk.
J: How do you know.
Mandy: I called Mom, and she said that when she was little, people had skunks as pets and their stinkers were removed.
J: OK.
Mandy: So, I'm going to get a skunk and name it Flower.
J: Why Flower?
Mandy: Haven't you ever seen Bambi..."He can call me Flower...if he wants to."
J: Uhh, No.
Mandy: Whatever, bottom line is...I was right and you were wrong.
J: That's why you called me back, to prove me wrong.
Mandy: Yep.
J: Are you good now?
Mandy: Yeah, I'm good.
J: Well, that's all that matters.
Mandy: Pretty much...I'll talk to you later, bye.
J: Bye.

Until next time...

Mandy

1 comments:

d.g. said...

Ok, so you get your skunk-named-Flower and I'll get my owl/eagle/raven/whatever-bird-of-prey-I'm-interested-in-that-day and we'll ... be total freaks. Just like we usually are, except ... moreso.