Thursday, December 18, 2008

What Would You Do For a Bargain?

Since the holidays are here, it seems like every time I turn on the television or radio people keep saying...Only one week left until Christmas! Luckily, I only have two or three more purchases, then I will be DONE! With all this talk of holiday shopping, it makes me think back to a certain "Black Friday" several years ago...

Every Thanksgiving, The Mother and I get the sales papers out of the paper and look through them three or four times while Thanksgiving dinner is cooking and eating our traditional Thanksgiving breakfast...pumpkin pie with cool whip. After dinner, we pull out the sales papers again and start making our PLAN OF ATTACK!

This particular Thanksgiving, I saw in the Foley's sales paper that they were going to have down comforters and down mattress toppers on sale for $39.99.

Mandy: Oh my God, look at the price of these comforters!
Mom: Ooooo, and the mattress toppers!
Mandy: OK, so we agree, we're starting at Foley's.
Mom: Yep.
Mandy: Is it bad that the first place we want to go is to buy items for ourselves?
Mom: Well, look at it this way...we are actually saving money on those things, so we'll have more money to spend on everyone else.
Mandy: Makes sense to me!

Friday morning - We get up, drink coffee, pull out the sales papers of the stores we are going to, get dressed and are standing in line at the Foley's at Baybrook Mall by 5am.

Mandy: OK, how are we going to do this?
Mom: OK, the bedding is upstairs. Since you walk faster than I do, you go ahead of me and I'll meet up with you.
Mandy: OK, sounds good.

The doors open...people start running...

Once I reach the bedding department, I notice that there is a line in front of the comforters...I started to panic. So, I got in line and inched forward...luckily, the mattress toppers were on the wall next to where the comforters were. So, I had mom's topper IN HAND!!! I was the next person in line and...

Two ladies in front of me: Oh no, I guess they are out...Oh wait, there are some on the top shelf of the wall. How are we supposed to reach those.

(The comforters were lined up on the shelves that are built into the wall. There was a shelf at my feet, my hips, my shoulders, my head, and above my head)

As I'm looking at the top shelf, a plan starts to form in my head...

Mandy: If you make sure I get a queen size comforter and don't let me fall, I'll climb up there and get us each a comforter.
TLIFOM: OK...be careful.
Mandy: Here, hold my purse.

I started climbing the shelves and ended up standing on the shelf that was right at my head. Once I was up there, women were yelling at me..."Is there a King?" and "What about a twin?" My mom walks into the bedding department and finds her daughter hanging from a wall, almost 6 feet in the air, with five different hands on my butt to make sure I don't fall...THROWING comforters at people.

After all the comforters had been thrown off the shelf, I climbed down and started shaking.

Mom: Why are you shaking?
Mandy: I just realised how high up I was, I could have really hurt myself.
Mom: Yep.
Mandy: My bed is going to look so pretty!

Come on, a DOWN comforter for $39.99...You would have done the same thing!

Until next time...

Mandy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT WAS DEFINITELY A "KODAK" MOMENT. YOU'RE JUST LUCKY THAT AN HONEST SHOPPER WAS HOLDING ON TO YOUR PURSE.

BTW, AS SOON AS I GOT OFF THE ESCALATOR I COULD SEE M.M. HANGING FROM THE WALL LOOKING VERY MONKEYISH.

THE MOM

d.g. said...

That is some hardcore shit, my dear! You are like a ninja! Or Superman! Able to scale display racks in a single bound!

Rice Spice said...

Priceless!!