Tuesday, June 17, 2008

When I Realized I was an adult.

I was watching a program on VH1 last night, 40 Hottest Hotties of the 90's. (You can add my love of "countdown shows" to my list of odd quirks. ) One of the "hotties" was Ethan Hawke and they mentioned Reality Bites.

I have always loved Reality Bites, I think that and Singles really sums up our "Gen X" group. When Reality Bites first came out I saw it and fell IN LOVE with Ethan Hawke. I was totally drawn to the misunderstood, brooding, struggling artist. (Hell, I dated a couple of them.) I totally understood why Lainey would pick Troy over Michael, because in the end, LOVE CONQUERS ALL! I know, pretty cheesy...I was 19 years old, give me a break. Troy was everything I wanted in a guy...he was cool, he was intelligent, his clothes were seriously early 90's hip, he had the ultra sexy scruffy chin pubes, and he was a musician. What more could a woman ask for. And as for Michael, I just didn't see what Lainey saw in him. He wore a suit and worked in an office...why would any woman in her right mind want that??? Because, in my 19 year old brain I just knew that if you had love, everything else would just magically fall into place.

A couple of years ago I was shopping at Target and saw Reality Bites, I immediately put it in my buggy, finished my shopping and got home as quick as I could. Once everything was put up I put my new DVD on and started watching Laieny, Vickey, Sammy, Troy and Michael go through the ups and downs of early 20-dom. I still think the movie is awesome and it totally "got" our generation, but I no longer was rooting for Troy. I wanted to tell him to get his life together, get a job and for God's sake take a shower. (I didn't remember him being so greasy looking. Seriously, if you're an intellectual that can play the guitar does that mean showers are unnecessary?) When Lainey and Troy are laying on the couch at the end of the movie, I wanted to scream at her..."You moron, what are you going to do when you're 32 and he still doesn't have a job?" and "What do you see in him, he looks like he smells!" It was at that moment that I realized, oh damn, I'm an adult.

Until next time...

Amanda

0 comments: