Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Where Do You Go?

A couple of weeks ago, Kathryn and I decided to take the Friday before Memorial Day off and go out that Thursday night. We were calling it our..."MAN HUNT!"

We decided that we needed to branch out into a different area of the city, so we chose Midtown. We decided to start out at Sammy's 2016 Main, the reason we were starting there was because there was a band playing that I have read about and had wanted to check them out...The Spazmatics. OK, if you are in or around the Houston area YOU MUST GO AND SEE THESE GUYS! Not only are they hysterical, they are very talented. We figure since this is an 80's new wave cover band, there will probably be some over-thirties in the audience. So, we walk in and head to the bar get a couple of beers and look around that's when I noticed it...there was nowhere to sit, and I don't mean all the table were taken, no, THERE WERE NO TABLES. So, we're like, "OK, let's find a spot to stand." The band comes on stage and opens the show with "Take On Me" by Aha and as I'm drinking my beer, I start looking around at the people standing near me...they all look to be in their early 20's. I think to myself, "Y'all weren't even born when this song was popular...y'all don't even remember when MTV actually played music videos, for crying out loud, y'all don't even know what life was like without MTV. So, I'm watching the band and having a good time singing along and laughing when this little bitch comes and stands in front of me and her BACKPACK PURSE starts hitting me in the chest. (Really, a backpack purse. Sweetie, if you're trying to be "retro" for the show, you're in the wrong decade. The backpack purse wasn't even around until 1994...I know, I had one.) Anyway, this girl starts jumping up and down and hitting me with her stupid purse so I finally put my hand on her back and gently push her forward. By the end of the first set, people were crammed in the place and Kathryn and I decided to try a different local.



As we are walking back to the car, we have to walk past a line of taxis and all the drivers are standing outside their cars. Then, one of the drivers looks us both up and down and says, "Mmm mmm MMMM, y'all are two HEALTHY girls!" To which I reply, "That's what I've been told."



So, we get in the car and decide to go to Poison Girl. (Sadly, this Montrose area, hole in the wall bar doesn't have a website.) I love Poison Girl. It's a very cool bar that has a wall of pinball machines and a jukebox with nothing but music by Texas artists. BUT, Thursday night it seemed to be overrun with "hipsters." You know the type of people I'm speaking of...skinny jeans, greasy looking hair, they don't listen to bands that are actually played on the radio, they act like they are above having money. I realized Thursday night, I am not hip enough to hang with the hipsters....I'm a Fanilow for goodness sake. (A fan of Barry Manilow.) Kathryn brought to my attention that one of the guys we were standing next to on the patio did not have a very aromatic essence. (He stunk of B.O.) We drank our beers and decided to call it a night.

So, here's my question...Where do all the over-thirties go in Houston? Surely Kathryn and I are not the last ones that aren't married.

Until next time...

Mandy

5 comments:

Janet said...

I can't figure out where 30 somethings go in my area either. I don't think they go anywhere. I truly think they are all married. Or psychos still living in their parent's basement.

Debbie said...

The scene you described made me cringe. I must be getting old! I can't stand obnoxious crowds and people knocking into me anymore. But, if your local Spazmatics are as good as mine, I know it's a good time!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I remember one year...I think it was Wienie Roast (sometime in the early 2000s)...my brother was trying to get Billy Idol's autograph and these 15-year-old girls cut in front of him and tried to shove their way to the front because Billy Idol was "so funny in The Wedding Singer."

Oh HELL no!

So, yeah, I know just what you mean about that first bar!

I don't know where single thirty-somethings meet. I met mine online. Lame, I know. But he's a keeper. :-)

sublimenigma said...

Hmm...yes mhm yes.
When I worked downtown we used to hit Pub Fiction and Little Woodrows in that section of town.

I don't know what to tell you. When I do go out it's to hang out, not to meet women, so I normally end up in a pub or quiet bar where I can have a conversation.
Go figure.

I should be fully mobile again in a few weeks. I'll give you a call and play your wingman for a night.

Unknown said...

Howl at the Moon is alot of fun. Thats about the only place I have been of late-mostly people are at wine bars: Tasting Room, Sonoma, etc. I havent been out in so long but I have wanted to! If you find a neat club, tell us about it! I want to go to Grooves Lounge but havent.