Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Since Mother's Day is this Sunday, I thought I would link back to a post from 2007 I wrote about my mom. I could write all day long about the awesomeness that is Carol, but talking about Velcro in the last post made me remember a humorous little tale starring Carol and Nanny.

Picture it, Channelview 1988.

In 1988 I was in the 6th grade and in Channelview 6th grade is still in elementary school. Well, some of the girls in my class, me included, petitioned to get the school to have a 6th grade dance. We told the principal that we were graduating from children to teenagers and this was the last year we would all be in the same classes, blah, blah, blah. So, the principal allowed us to have a school dance in the cafeteria. We decided that we wanted the dance to be nice so we had originally decided to have a semi-formal, then some stupid people decided they wanted it to be a sock hop. I mean really, who ends the year with a sock hop! So, we had half the girls in semi-formals and the other half in poodle skirts. I decided that I wanted to go semi-formal and I wanted my Nanny to make my dress! So, Mom and I went to Hancock's fabric and picked out a dress pattern and material. The dress was tea-length and it had a low, scooped back and it had lace on the sleeves and it was...MAUVE! (I have no idea why I was on a mauve kick in 6th grade. Seriously, what was I thinking and why would my mother let me pick out such a horrible color. I guess it was just par for the course since I was also rockin' a mullet back in those days!) (Seriously Mom, how did you keep a straight face when you told me I looked pretty back then?) Anyway, Nanny got to work on the dress and it turned out really good. (As good as a mauve dress can turn out.) There was only one problem. Because of the scooped back, the shoulders of the dress kept sliding down my arms. So, Mom and Nanny tried to find a solution to the problem. Then, I believe it was Nanny came up with this idea...

Let's get some sticky Velcro and we'll stick one side of the Velcro to the inside shoulders of the dress and we'll stick the other side of the Velcro to Mandy's shoulders!

Apparently, they both thought this was a brilliant idea.

So, the night of the dance came and I felt BEAUTIFUL! I mean, who wouldn't, with my mauve dress and bitchin' mullet. (Seriously, the dress was really pretty...I just don't like mauve anymore.) So, I have my dress on and Nanny sticks the Velcro on me and you know what...IT WORKED. So, my mom took me to the dance and everyone was all, "Ooooh I like your dress, where did you get it?" I was all, "Oh, my grandmother made it." and they were all, "Oh wow, you look really pretty." I was all, "Thanks!" But in my head I was thinking, "I know look FINE!" (Because that's what we used to say in the late 80's..."Ooooh, look at him...he is FINE!") So, the dance is going really well. I've had my punch and being a Southern Belle in training, totally ignore the food and then I decide that I'm going to dance. Well, guess what happens when you dance...you start to sweat. Guess what doesn't stick to moist skin...sticky Velcro. About two hours into the dance, the shoulders of my dress are sliding down my arms and half way through Salt & Peppa's "Push It" someone asks me, what is that square thing? The Velcro that had been attached to my shoulder had slid on the moist skin and was now visible. I just grabbed it and said, "I don't know...a sticker of some sort."

I've never used Velcro since

To all of the mothers out there Happy Mother's Day!

Until next time...

Mandy

2 comments:

d.g. said...

Hehe!

Happy Mother's Day, Carol! =)

Karen M. Peterson said...

Hey, it could've been worse!

At one of our dances, my friend slipped on spilled punch, landed on her rear, and the tissue in her bra somehow came flying out.