Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Summer of New Things.

I've decided that starting June 1, 2007 I am going to try something new and stick with it for the entire month, then keep track of how I enjoy these new things on here. The first thing I'm going to try is (drumroll)

Being a Vegan.

I've been talking to this guy from the personals that is a Vegan and I started thinking to myself, "I wonder if I could do that for an entire month?" So, what the hell, I'm going to try it. Those of you who know me know that the majority of what I eat is crap. So, I'm going to go to the bookstore and find a book that will tell me what I need to do. The main thing I need to figure out is what supplements I need to take. If you know any vegans will you let me know. I have looked this up on the internet and I'm not going to do the TOTAL vegan no leather thing. I have way too many leather shoes and purses for this. I am going to eat only plant based foods (to the best of my ability) for a month. So, I will be driving from the Clear Lake area to the Whole Foods. I have not been to Whole Foods since they moved, I guess I will be looking them up on Swichboard.com to find an address. One thing I do need to find out, can you drink beer when you are a vegan? The only ingredients I know of in beer are barley and hops, and I don't think either one of those is animal based. If so, please let me know. So, since I will be eating all the vegetables known to man for a month, I am sooo going to load up on meat. You never know, maybe I will like this. Yeah, I doubt it too.

I'm not sure what I will do in July. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Until next time...

Single Girl

4 comments:

Laura Funkyjunk Suarez said...

How cool! Wow, vegan. That is awesome. I have been vegetarian now for four years. I have never attempted vegan. Hell, I read enough labels as it is. Definitely check things because there are many many products that are made with animal products. Look for things like gelatin which is made with horse hooves. There are tons of other things, too. And be wary of Whole Foods. Make sure you stuff says vegan! Like not all vegetarian things are vegan. They will tell you if they are, though.You have to read labels closely. There are weird additives like pectin and stuff like that that are animal based. I have heard that some beers are not vegan. Don't ask me what the hell is in them to make them not. But, apparently something. Also, be wary of salads from restaurants. Many chains wash their vegetables with a wash that is meat based. I know Chili's and Applebee's do this. But, I don't eat there. Just as a warning.

You could go to this website:
http://forums.austin.craigslist.org/?forumID=2400

It is a vegan discussion board on craigslist. Some people on it are quite militant, especially about loving animals. I didn't quit the meat for my love of animals. I read Fast Food Nation, and I just couldn't give my money to any type of meat or chicken company ever again. So, my vegetarianism is more of a boycott.

But, you will feel great! Really you will. Maybe not at first. But, you will. And, be careful if you go longer than a month. Because with that first bite of chicken after a couple of months comes rip roaring diarrhea! But, after a while you are able to taste even the slightest bit of chicken broth in something like rice. Oh, be very careful of rice at Mexican food restaurants, as well as, the beans. There is usually lard or chicken broth in them.

Anyway, I hope it goes well. I know a number of vegans. But, I am an Austinite, so it is almost mandatory! Have fun with it! You will do great!

Amanda said...

You know, the guy I have been talking to read that same book and that is why he became a vegan. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I will be able to make it the whole month!

d.g. said...

You can make it ... and you never know, you may decided to stick with it! A lot of people do, or at least, go vegetarian. There are so many vegetables to choose from, certainly a bigger selection of those than meats, and so many amazing ways they can be prepared. I think it will be easier than you think.

Congratulations on trying something new! You'll never know if you like it if you don't give it a try!

Amanda said...

Thank you Hoochie for your support. I'm actually kind of excited about it!