Friday, April 6, 2007

Hippity Hopping to Louisiana!!!

This evening I will be traveling with Movie Buff, Doodlebug and all the little Doodles to Opelousas, LA. You most likely have never heard of Opelousas, but it does exist. I have been to this location once before, I went with Doodlebug and her oldest Doodle on a Thanksgiving weekend MANY years ago. I had a lot of fun lat time we went and can't wait for this weekend. I will tell you about my last visit with the family o' Doodles and then you will understand why I am so excited and I just can't hide it....

Doodlebug and I arrived in Louisana on the Friday after Thanksgiving. When we arrived, only the women in her family were at the house. All the men and Doodlebug's mom were out hunting. (What self-respecting Louisiana man does not hunt???) Sadly, none of them brought a carcass home, :) , I then got to meet the patriarch of the family...Paw Paw Poonie. Yes, you read that correctly! After all the menfolk got done cleaning the deer urine off of them (for those of you who don't know, usually hunters either bath with soap that smell like dirt or they pour deer urine on themselves.) Doodlebug and I were asked to go to the big refrigerator in the garage and bring in the food. When I opened the door to the fridge, I was astounded!!! I had never seen so much food prepared in my entire life. There was one dish that I was eyeballing that looked really good. It looked like pineapple with whipped cream and a cherry on top. When I expressed interest in this yummy looking item, Doodlebug took mercy on me and told me what it actually was...It was a slice of pineapple with a slice of cheese on top of it with a dollop of MAYONNAISE and a cherry on top!!!!!! Now, I had always heard that the people of the great state of Louisiana would eat anything, but still to this day when I think of the pineapple, cheese, mayonnaise, cherry thing my stomach kind of turns. But, I will say her family introduced me to one of my favorite desserts...Sweet Potato Pie!!!! When we were bringing the food into the house, we noticed a strange wire that ran the perimeter of the back yard. Doodlebug said, "I wonder what that wire is for." I jokingly replied, "Maybe it's electric." Once we got all the food in the house, Paw Paw Poonie started flirting with me! You have to LOVE old men that flirt, they are my favorite. So, after dinner Doodlebug and I leave the oldest Doodle with her mom and go to hang out with her cousins. Have you ever noticed that Louisana people have a very strange way of speaking? They use phrases like, "Who dat?" and "Who dis?" And apparently when you need to put something up, you "save it" or when you go to the grocery store you "make groceries." (i.e. I went to the store to make groceries. When I got home, I had to save the groceries.) The next day, everyone is outside visting and the kids are playing and I remember it being a beautiful day! When Paw Paw Poonie (I LOVE HIS NAME!!!) came outside and sat down, Doodlebug asked him what the wire was. His reply was, "It's an electric wire, it keeps the dogs in the backyard." OH MY GOD, I WAS RIGHT!!! Then the oldest Doodlebug went sprinting toward the wire and Doodle ran after her so she wouldn't get electricuted. Paw Paw Poonie said, "I don know why you runnin after her, she touch it once she won do it again!' There is nothing better than Louisiana logic!!!

So, as you can see Opelousas, Louisiana is very entertaining to go and visit. Just to get to say the name Paw Paw Poonie is well worth the trip. I look forward to spending time with Doodlebug and her family. I think Saturday night we are going to a club...I am so ready to get drunk with Louisiana people. I will post monday any zaniness that ensues...

Until next time...

Single Girl

2 comments:

d.g. said...

Please don't ever say "hippity hopping" again ... I beg of you! Because the visual I have of you literally hippity hopping all da way to Louisiana to see Paw Paw Poonie and his "touch it once, you won't touch dat again!" fence is simply too much ...

:)

Rice Spice said...

So glad you had a great time in Louisiana. Paw Paw Poonie sounds like a hoot!